Do you want to know how to use Google URL inspection tool introduced in new version of webmaster tools?
URL inspection tool of Google is a new way to inspect the index status of any URL.
As you may be aware about the recent changes made to the Google search console. The older version of it is coming to an end and a new version is being rolled out.
The new version of it is simpler than previous one yet it is hard to navigate. Because the UI is new, it looks frustrating at first time.
Let me first tell you what is URL inspection tool by Google?
What is Google’s URL inspection tool?
What you did before to check the current status of a link of your website?
By using the Google search console you were able to get the current status of the link. But this tool now has a new UI and new features. URL inspection is one of those.
Let me tell you the main idea of this tool by an example.
Say you wrote an article on the website. Now you want the search engines to crawl it as fast as they can. In that case, you were using the Google search console’s “Fetch as Google” feature.
You were entering the link and submitting it to the Google. After few minutes that article was getting live on Google.
Unfortunately, the “Fetch as Google” feature is gone in new version. Instead we have a more robust feature called URL inspection tool.
It is more better and easier way to submit a link to Google now.
Both things Fetch as Google and URL inspection tool work in same way, that is; it is used for crawling the links.
But in previous version of Google search console, we were not able to check the link status. For example; it didn’t possessed a shorter and quicker way to find the URL status.
In the new version it is too easy and it is URL inspection tool.
Now let me illustrate the pros and cons of these tools in a list.
Fetch as Google:
- Easy to use.
- Was having a great feature of choosing the device for which to crawl the URL. For example; You can just crawl URL for desktop or mobile individually.
- Required few more mouse clicks to reach the tool. That means harder to navigate for beginners.
- UI was basic.
URL Inspection Tool:
- Nice UI (material design).
- Can crawl URLs easily.
- Provides link status.
- Provides the AMP status of current link.
- No robots verification check (In my case).
- Can test URL before submitting it to Google for issues.
- Not good for beginners due to lack of documentation.
Above I demonstrated the power of the new URL inspection tool by Google.
Let’s start using it.
How to use URL inspection tool?
Using this tool isn’t a big deal but requires a Google search console account which might have.
So, head towards the Google search console.
On the right side of the logo, you will find an input with placeholder ‘Inspect any URL in “https://yourwebsite.com”‘.
Or you can find it on the left menu named as “URL inspection”. There enter the link you want to let the Google index.
It will start to retrieve the URL data from Google. After completing retrieving process, it will now show you the results.
Here is the screenshot of the non-indexed URL.
As you can see we get three options.
- Status: Whether the URL is on the Google data or not. It is shown there. As the link isn’t indexed by Google, it shows ‘ URL is not on Google’. Otherwise it will show ‘URL is on Google’ if the link is already submitted.
- Coverage: This option is the all about the link data. Like is this link readable by Google (robots data). Does this link have any canonical. Was it crawled or not, if yes it will show the date. Another thing, this option checks whether or not the current link is in the sitemap.
- Enhancements: Whether or not your page is mobile friendly or not. Many other things might fall under this section which I am not including here.
In order to let the Google know about this new link, we have to click the “Request Indexing” link.
Wait for some time and the link will be indexed by Google within few minutes.
I hope you loved this short tutorial about the new URL inspection tool. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding this tool.
Please do share this tutorial.